1. Skin – a good place to start with in treating eczema are nourishing natural/organic oils and essential oils – helichrysum, frankincense, lavender, roman chamomile; and organic carrier oils, where possible, to help balance the acid mantle/sebum production – camellia oil, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, rosehip seed oil……
Use an organic/natural face and body wash
Eczema blend Add to a carrier oil – use these in a 1% dilution e.g. 1 drop to 5ml/1teaspoon
Helichrysum or Lavender 5 drops
Frankincense 5 drops
Roman Chamomile 10 drops
German Chamomile or Mandarin 5 drops
Suggested carrier oil 25ml macerated calendula oil, 10ml rosehip seed oil, 10ml camellia oil, 5ml borage oil (or 2 capsules of starflower oil)
2. Hydration – drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
3. Supplements – a good multivitamin daily + Starflower oil ( high in Gamma Linoleic Acid GLA, an anti-inflammatory which inhibits the synthesis of prostaglandins) + Vit E
4. Rest/relaxation – put your feet up even if it’s to watch an hour of television in the evening or even better yoga 1x weekly if possible and/or massage if you can fit it in.
5. Diet diary – avoid/monitor alcohol, coffee, tea, high fat, sugar, wheat, processed foods/fizzy drinks and foods high in histamines (potatoes, aubergines, tomatoes, chillies) – a good mainly wholefood diet (the skin is an organ of excretion, the fewer toxins, the easier elimination will be)
6. Sunlight – moderate exposure (get out in your lunch break for 15mins if you can)
7. Avoid chemicals in the home – non-bio or natural/organic washing powder, furniture polish etc… and avoid plastic gloves when cleaning the house, if you have to use them wash your hands thoroughly afterwards (eczema on hands and wrists can be due to a latex allergy).
This might seem a lot to think about but small changes will start to make a difference. Feel free to email/call me with any questions.
BA (Hons) PGCE NYR MIFPA
Aromatherapist, Pregnancy & Remedial Massage Therapist
Mobile: 07931 349 125
Join my Facebook Fan Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aromatherapy-Massage/155051522852